Mar 1, 2011

Post Mortem

I was actually going to make this post sunday night(Indian Time) but the cricket match between England and India kept me glued to my idiot box. Skipping - only way to describe the state of my heart yesterday. Picture this, a team posts 338 and the match gets to go as a draw, something like a 16-16 full time result(Ok, I'm exaggerating). Oh, how I would have welcomed that result if it were football. India drawing a football match against England!

Honestly, how many of you would have heard of Baichung Bhutia or Sunil Chhetri I'm not sure; not as many who've heard of Wayne Rooney for sure. There I go again...my girlfriend threatened she wouldn't see me for a week if I even use three letters of Rooney's name(I'm supposedly suffering from Rooneymania) consecutively, but hell...I'll take my chances.



If you're wondering how the picture is relevant to my blog, P.S : READ BELOW.

"Wayne Rooney" picked up his disastrous form from where he'd left against Marseille. Sure, he got a goal but Berbatov could have got more; the only reason why Roo is preferred to Berba is his acceleration and work rate, which were not even better than a 36-year old named Scholes(normal, forget phenomenal). Spain calling perhaps?

WHU beat the kop out of a "rejuvenated/refreshed/fired-up/suarezed/dalglished" Liverpool team. Sympathies to Meireles for picking a knock, Liverpool did try but their defense just wasn't upto the mark. Doesn't matter if they can keep up their position in the table though, maybe some glory next season.

Picking up the last four words of the last para and adding a few more "nexts" , Mancity can use that as a tagline. And incidentally, I'm surprised Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko started the match given the high number of casualties on the flanks and centre of defence. Another Italian tactic maybe, ENCORE Mancini! If you can't pickup three points against Fulham at home, it doesn't matter even if you win against United or Arsenal.

Ah, now that I mention Arsenal, perhaps the bees have stung them too hard! Heartbreak, that's what I would call it, but Arsenal should've done better. With a team boasting of a midfield that can equal Barca's this was quite the anti-climax, Nasri and Wilshere did work hard but Koscielny took care of the result. Arsenal should have started with Chamakh or Bendtner instead of Rosicky. Second fiddle to the red devils and a CL quarterfinal berth(at most!) is where I can see them go.


The Chelsea v/s Manchester United fixture is (re)scheduled for tonight. Maybe Torres will get fired up when he comes against Vidic, Gawd knows Chelsea badly need a win, especially at home. I heard someone say United will use a Barcelona type formation with Roo and Chicharito supporting Berbatov from the flanks and Nani cutting in from the centre, interesting but not the United type. Curious to see if Rooney starts!

Till then, Ciao