Mar 13, 2011

Arsenal - That sense of Deja Vu

I read a post by my friend where she used the word "Arsenic" to describe Arsenal. Catchy it maybe, but Arsenal's recent play has been far from that particular term that is extensively associated with toxicity and poisoning. If anything, it looked like a self-poisoning of that hope of winning something or anything when it comes to that.

So, let me not single out matches against Barcelona(that away leg) or the FA cup loss to Manutd. Arsenal, in general and particular have been a mixed bag but full of talent. Sincerely, I'm at a loss to explain how Arsenal's strong midfield couldn't outwit United's made-up midfield with Rooney(as CM!), O'Shea, Da Silvas(Wings) and Gibson(Holding). Pit those names against a Nasri, Arshavin, Wilshere, Diaby, Denilson in their proper positions  and one cannot see reason why Arsenal's play was so cheap. Yes, sorry I told I wouldn't be talking about particular matches, curiosity got the better of me.

Right, so when people keep telling Arsenal have got it in them I have always reacted no more than giving a non committal jerk. Sure, on their day, Arsenal is right up there with Madrid and Mutd, no arguments there. But, as it always comes to blaming someone when you have a losing streak, I actually have someone to blame. Rather, it's the absence of someone that I'm gonna blame it onto this time(Yes I'm sane, thanks for asking!).



When you look at teams like United or Liverpool, they have that combination of physical players who can press and take the ball away from you. By physical, I'm not talking about the play dirty factor which Arsenal are currently applying but players like Vidic, DeJong or an Alonso who were born to be the dynamo of their team. Sadly, Arsenal have no such player in their ranks. I can find no one who have a better sense of technical play than the Gunners but that alone will not suffice. Arsenal have to face the fact that they have no proper leader, frankly Fabregas doesn't look the type to me. I was actually hoping Arsenal would go for David Luiz but no, maddening pig headedness over the youth policy is taking its toll.

So I give Arsenal two options right now :
1. Offload those underfed defenders, Diaby (who was supposed the next Viera!) and Denilson. Buy a good strong established defender who can actually head the ball and clear lines. Buy a good versatile midfielder who can complement Fabregas and Song and most importantly is prone less to injuries. Certainly, Ramsey jumped to my mind but I'm not sure how much time he's gonna take to establish himself.

2. Simple : Kick out Wenger!

Actually, both the options are quite contradictory as Wenger will want to stick with his underperforming kids, and if Wenger goes obviously no manager in their right mind would retain these players and try making a Viera or Makelele of nothing. Not very optimistic.



Face it Arsenal, the present squad is a little flippy and is nowhere near the Invincible of recent past. Djourou and Kosclieny are no replacements for Campbell and Toure as Diaby isn't for Viera. I've been going on about Diaby for a while now, I admit he's not the first choice starter but when you need people to step up for a big club like Arsenal and they don't it's with a kind of hesitating weirdness that you come to look at them(him, in this case). United were missing ten senior players and Barcelona had their first choice defence pairing unavailable, but these are teams at a different level which can cope and not just cry over spilt milk. Only if Wenger uses his wits and money properly do I hope to see some smiles across the Gunners' faithful.
Otherwise, I may have to just copy-paste this post same time next year!

Bye-Vinay